Dear members and friends of Valley Park,
We continue to gather on Sunday mornings in order to “Live-Stream” our services for those who are maintaining connectedness to Valley Park from a distance. Out of commitment to serving Jesus, we do keep the doors open for those who want social distance in the sanctuary while we are live-streaming.
Government authorities continue to advise social distancing and encourage staying at home as much as possible. We are encouraging our members to honor government directives as much as possible. (Romans 13:1-5)
COVID-19 shows no signs of going away. It is not seasonal and failure to socially distance has led to waves of newly diagnosed cases across America. My sense is that we need to be prepared for this on-going fight against the virus through to 2021.
Christians and Valley Park are being challenged to maintain a focus upon ministry and witness in times of discouragement. Toward that effort we encourage and offer opportunities for involvement. Some of those opportunities include:
- Socially Connecting: Each and every one of us can utilize the phone, emails and texting to touch base with people weekly. I encourage everyone to consider those who are less social and possibly more isolated. We need to reach out to them and we are more effective in doing this if all of us are involved. It is a great time to practice Social Connectedness via available resources.
- I continue to lead a Wednesday Bible Study at 7 p.m. via ZOOM. We are presently studying the “Seven Most Important Teachings of Jesus.” Please contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org for the Zoom ID and password.
- The Men’s Group meets on Saturdays to talk and study the Gospel of John. We are a small group so social distancing is easily managed. Saturdays, 9 a.m. in the courtyard and conference room.
- I have been concerned for some of our elderly members who have not been going out at all. I am proposing a Fellowship of Seniors to gather on Thursday mornings for social interaction. Here are the proposed guidelines:
Thursdays at 10 am in the Courtyard (Chapel if too hot)
- Groups of 8 or less.
- Tables joined together so distancing is enforced.
- If more than 10 show up we will subdivide to maintain small groups.
- Refreshments provided.
- I will phone those I think might be interested. You can invite others as well.
- Would someone like to provide an interactive game or two?
Considering the long-term nature of our present reality, it is important to think of ways to be more involved in each other’s lives. It is hard. Some of us are discouraged. Some of us are depressed. Some of us are doing well and have found a new rhythm in life. The bottom line is that whether we are doing well or are hurting, we are a church family and we need to stick together and lift each other up. We are in a culture where everyone is being impacted in some way. What we need to prioritize is a TEAM effort.
TEAM (Together Embracing A Mission)
“The way God designed our bodies is a model for understanding our lives together as a church: every part dependent on every other part, the parts we mention and the parts we don’t, the parts we see and the parts we don’t. If one part hurts, every other part is involved in the hurt, and in the healing. If one part flourishes, every other part enters into the exuberance.”I Corinthians 12:25-26
My hope and my prayer is that God will bring us through this time of discouragement utilizing it to make us stronger and more effective as witnesses of Jesus Christ. My confidence is that “God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.” Let us look forward to the future. Let us do our best to pull together in the present.
Sincerely in Christ,
I regret to inform you that Jesusa “Suzie” Montanez, mother of Diana Nason, went home to the Lord on Thursday, July 23, 2020. She passed away from Natural Causes in the mid-afternoon. We will miss Suzie.
Prayer for Diana and her family.
See the Birthdays and Financial Report Below
Valley Park August Birthdays:
01 – Jose Luis Jardines (Beti Guetirrez’s husband)
08 – Silvio Junior
10 – Daniela Kirar-Villanueva
11 – Diane Davis
13 – Michelle Junior
13 – Ralph Tepezano
14 – Eva Beugnon (child)
15 – Christian Kirar-Villanueva (youth)
17 – Vanessa Lavachek
18 – Rylan Rivadeneira (child)
29 – Cathy Padilla
31 – Irene Guerara
Financial Report for July, 2020
VP Members approved anticipated giving of $140,000/year
$140,000 / 52 weeks = weekly giving of $2,692
July 5 $1,600
July 12 $2,235
July 19 and 26 $5,285
July Target (2,692 /week x 4) $10,768
July Actual $9,120
July Variance minus $1,678
YTD= “Year To Date”
YTD Target (Fiscal Year begins July 1, 2020) $10,768
YTD Actual $9,120
YTD Variance minus $1,678